Last updated

What is a complaint?

A complaint is any type of problem, concern or grievance that negatively affects your studies or your experience at the university.

You can raise a complaint about any aspect of your studies, student life, the university or the university environment. Examples include complaints about assessment decisions and the behaviour of another student or a university staff member.

Get advice about your complaint

  • You can find help and advice about how to resolve your complaint from different advisors and advocates, including the Student Conduct and Integrity Unit. Some of these are located on campus, others are external to UNSW.
  • Your educational support advisor can give you advice about your complaint and may be able to help resolve the issue at an informal level before you lodge a complaint.

Complaints process

Before lodging your complaint, you should familiarise yourself with the university’s student complaints process and consider talking to an advisor who can help you decide how to address your concerns.

Lodging a complaint

You must lodge your complaint within 12 months of you becoming aware of the issue.

  • You can lodge a complaint using the student complaints form. This gives you the option to make an anonymous complaint if you wish.  If you are asked to enter an invitation code, you will need to contact your Program Authority.
  • Incidents of sexual assault, sexual harassment or sexual misconduct should be reported via sexual assault/sexual harassment form, not via the student complaints form.
  • If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint or the way it was handled, you can contact to lodge an appeal.