Getting and renewing your student visa
If you’re studying in Australia as an international student, you’ll need a visa from the Australian government’s Department of Home Affairs that covers the duration of your study. You will also need a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from UNSW.
- To get or renew a student visa, you must apply through the Department of Home Affairs. Find relevant links to the Department of Home Affairs.
- Find information about student visas, including visa conditions and restrictions on the number of hours you can work.
- Find information about how your student visa can be affected by changes to your study, as well as forms and applications relating to your visa.
- See Visa Information and Living in Australia for information about family visits, student visa work rights, and Overseas Student Health Cover.
- Find out how to extend your visa.
Student Development International
Student Development International (SDI) is the first point of contact for international students and can give you advice about your student visa.
If you have questions about student visas and immigration, you can email your question to Student Development International (SDI) at: email@example.com. For more personalised advice, SDI's International Student Advisors can assist with one-on-one consultations.
Conditions of your student visa
A student visa comes with rules about what you can and can’t do. For example, you can only take on certain kinds of study loads, you must have Overseas Student Health Cover, and there are special rules for students under the age of 18.
Study requirements for student visa holders
Student visa holders can’t study part-time, and there are rules around how much distance and online learning you can do.
- Rules apply about the modes of study student visa holders can do. Modes of study include full-time and part-time study, distance learning, online learning, and Summer Term.
- Even though you can’t study part-time, you may be able to reduce your study load.
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
You are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the whole of your stay in Australia. If you need a new visa, you must also extend your OSHC.
- Find more information about Overseas Student Health Cover.
Students under the age of 18
If you’re an international student and will be under the age of 18 when you arrive in Australia, you’ll need to have approved accommodation and welfare arrangements, and a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter. You’ll need to present the CAAW to the Department of Home Affairs when you apply for a student visa. If you’re living with a legal guardian in Australia, you don’t need a CAAW letter.