Getting documents certified, translated or verified

This page will guide you to information and resources about how you can get documents certified, translated, verified or authenticated.

Getting documents certified

To have your documents certified, you need to provide both the original document and the copy to the person certifying the document. 

Getting documents translated

If your documents are in a language other than English, you need to get them translated. If the documents you submit need to be certified, you must give UNSW certified copies of both the original document and the translated document signed by the translator. 

DFAT authentication

The Australian government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade sometimes advises students that they need to have their original testamur (official qualification certificate) or transcripts signed by UNSW. You will need to make an appointment to get documents signed by an authorised UNSW staff member.  

  • Find more information about what to do if you need to have documents signed for DFAT, including the steps you need to take and the staff who are authorised to sign.  


An apostille is a certificate issued by DFAT used to prove that the signatures of Australian officials on documents are genuine. (Foreign governments sometimes need proof the signatures of Australian officials on documents are genuine before they can be accepted.) 

Document Verification Service

The Document Verification Service (DVS) is a national online system that allows organisations to compare a customer's identifying information with a government record. 

Ad-hoc requests for enrolment verification

Some external institutions may require information about your enrolment or fees.

  • On request, and depending on the information requested, The Nucleus: Student Hub can provide information about a student’s enrolment/fees for inclusion in documents from external institutions. 

The Graduate Register and Verification of Qualification Service

Employers and other external organisations can use the Graduate Register to verify the qualifications of UNSW Graduates who graduated since 2000 or the Verification of Qualification Service to confirm an individual has graduated from UNSW or has studied at UNSW. 

  • See the Graduate Register to verify a UNSW graduate’s qualifications.
  • See the Verification of Qualification Service to find public information for a degree awarded before 2000 or a degree from AGSM awarded before 2010. You can also use it if you can’t find a post-2000 graduate's details on the register or there’s a discrepancy in the information provided by the graduate and the information on the register.