Take program leave, transfer, or discontinue

This page will guide you to information and resources about what to do if you have started your program but don’t want to or can’t continue with it.

Taking leave from your program

If you want to take a break from your program and come back to your studies, program leave is the best option for you. It lets you take a leave of absence from your program of up to one year.  

  • Check this detailed guide about program leave
  • In exceptional circumstances, you may be approved for up to one additional year of leave. Contact your Program Authority to check if you are eligible. 
  • If you want to study at another institution while you are on program leave from UNSW, you will need permission from your Program Authority
  • If you haven’t started your program yet, you will need to defer your offer instead of taking leave. 
  • International students on student visas can apply for program leave; however, certain conditions may apply. Please get advice from the International Student Experience Unit before applying for course discontinuation or program leave.

Transferring to another program

If you start your program at UNSW and then decide it isn’t right for you, you can apply to transfer to a different program. This is called an internal program transfer (IPT).  

Discontinuing your program

If you are sure you want to stop studying in your program completely, program discontinuation is the best option for you.