Student visa

This page will guide you to information and resources about student visas for international students.
Last updated  27 Feb, 2020

Getting and renewing your student visa

If you’re studying in Australia as an international student, you’ll need a visa from the Australian government’s Department of Home Affairs that covers the duration of your study. You will also need a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from UNSW.

Student Development International

Student Development International (SDI) is the first point of contact for international students and can give you advice about your student visa. 

If you have questions about student visas and immigration, you can email your question to Student Development International (SDI) at: For more personalised advice, SDI's International Student Advisors can assist with one-on-one consultations.

Conditions of your student visa

A student visa comes with rules about what you can and can’t do. For example, you can only take on certain kinds of study loads, you must have Overseas Student Health Cover, and there are special rules for students under the age of 18.

Study requirements for student visa holders

Student visa holders can’t study part-time, and there are rules around how much distance and online learning you can do.

  • Rules apply about the modes of study student visa holders can do. Modes of study include full-time and part-time study, distance learning, online learning, and Summer Term. 
  • Even though you can’t study part-time, you may be able to reduce your study load

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

You are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the whole of your stay in Australia. If you need a new visa, you must also extend your OSHC. 

Students under the age of 18

If you’re an international student and will be under the age of 18 when you arrive in Australia, you’ll need to have approved accommodation and welfare arrangements, and a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter. You’ll need to present the CAAW to the Department of Home Affairs when you apply for a student visa. If you’re living with a legal guardian in Australia, you don’t need a CAAW letter.