Future international students

This page provides information and resources for international students intending to study at UNSW.

About UNSW

Before you apply for a place at UNSW, you may want to find out what you can study, what it’s like to be a student at UNSW, and the visa and fee requirements.

The International Office 

The International Office hosts events around the world to help prospective international students decide on the best program to study at UNSW. The office has UNSW agents in many countries to help answer specific enquiries. The agents are independent entities authorised to consult with students on behalf of UNSW. 

Applying to UNSW

If you have decided that you’d like to study at UNSW, you will have to apply for a place.

Genuine Temporary Entry (GTE) Requirements

The GTE requirement is used to ensure the student visa program is accessed by students who genuinely intend to stay in Australia temporarily for study purposes. Find out more about the Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirements.

  • If you are required to complete a GTE interview as part of your application process, only an authorised UNSW agent or a UNSW Regional Manager can complete the GTE process and submit it to UNSW admissions via Apply Online
  • To find a UNSW Regional Manager, scroll down to the heading Regional Managers on the Information for agents page and select the country where you are located.

Receiving an offer 

  • If your application is successful, you will receive a full offer, or a conditional offer if you need to complete more steps. 
  • If you receive a full offer, you will also receive an email with a link to your personalised offer page. Your personalised offer page will guide you through the process of accepting or deferring your offer and paying your deposit. 
  • Once you have accepted your offer and paid your deposit, you will receive an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) 

Confirmation of Enrolment is an official document issued to international students by the University. It contains specific details relating to your program and tells the Department of Home Affairs of your current enrolment status. You need a CoE to apply for a student visa. 

Student Visa 

Most international students require a student visa to study in Australia. Visit the Department of Home Affairs site to get more information.