About academic standing
Academic standing shows your current progress towards finishing your program.
If you’re an international student, you should also make an appointment with an International Student Advisor at Student Development International. Use the online booking system to book your consultation.
Find out more about academic standing including how academic standing is determined, and what the levels of academic standing mean.
- Get information specifically about academic standing for undergraduates.
- Get information specifically about academic standing for postgraduates.
- Understand more about UNSW grade definitions.
Referral and probation
If your academic standing is referral or probation, UNSW is concerned about your academic progress. We strongly encourage you to find out about support services to improve academic performance.
Suspension and exclusion
If your academic standing is suspension, UNSW believes that you need a break from your studies to deal with the issues and problems that are affecting your academic progress. You will receive a letter to tell you about your suspension.
If your academic standing is exclusion, UNSW has serious concerns about your ability to complete your program. You are excluded from the university for not less than 2 academic years and you must re-apply for re-admission at the end of the exclusion period. You will receive a letter to tell you about your exclusion.
If you are suspended or excluded from one program, you cannot apply to study another program during the period of suspension or exclusion.
Appealing your suspension or exclusion
You can appeal against your suspension or exclusion.
- Understand the academic standing appeal process and get answers to frequently asked questions.
- Arc also provides useful information about suspension and exclusion appeals.
- If you want to appeal an academic standing decision, complete and submit an application to appeal against suspension or exclusion, along with relevant supporting documentation and a typed supporting statement.