About The Learning Centre
The Learning Centre offers academic skills support to all students enrolled at UNSW to help them succeed in their study. All services offered at The Learning Centre are confidential.
- Find out more about The Learning Centre.
Services at The Learning Centre
The Learning Centre offers different kinds of support for different needs. There is no cost: all consultations and workshops are free for UNSW students.
- Individual consultations give one-on-one help and useful strategies for academic writing and other problems or issues you’re having with your study. Consultations are with peer writing assistants. To book an individual consultation, login to the online booking system.
- Academic skills workshops are one- or two-hour workshops for both undergraduate and postgraduate students. They focus on lots of different skills, such as essay writing, oral presentations, critical thinking and plagiarism. They can be held as a series of workshops or once only sessions. To register for upcoming academic skills workshops and courses, log in to the workshop booking system.
- Practice your ‘everyday’ English speaking at conversation café groups – these are small, informal meetings with a facilitator.
- Support is available for postgraduate research students.
- Support is available for postgraduate coursework students.
Other support for students
As well as The Learning Centre, there are many other resources at UNSW to help you develop your academic skills.
- You can find a wide range of information about Academic Skills and Support, including how to write essays and critical reviews, and how to reference and use sources correctly.
- You can take the Academic Skills Plus course to improve your academic skills. Enrol in GENY0001 (Term 1), GENY0002 (Term 2) or GENY0003 (Term 3 and Summer term). You will get 6 units of credit for successfully completing it.
- You can access other academic writing resources from the UNSW website.
- The Learning Centre doesn’t teach English. Find other resources for improving your English language skills or ask the UNSW Institute of Languages about English language tuition.
- Find out about plagiarism, what it is and how to avoid it.