Fees, fee statements and payments

Last updated

About fees

Fees at UNSW include tuition fees, the student services and amenities fee (SSAF), and other incidental fees. 

There are different tuition fees for domestic, international and Commonwealth Supported Students, and for different programs. Tuition fees for students are set by course rather than program.

Your fee statement

Your fee statement displays your tuition fee or student contribution liability and your payments for the current term. It can be used as an invoice for your employer, for tax purposes or, if you are an international student,  to present to the government in your home country.  

Paying fees

There are several options for paying your fees. They must be paid by the due date.

  • See instructions on how to pay your fees.
  • Your payment due date is on your fee statement, but you can also search for payment due dates and census dates. The census date is the last day that you can withdraw from a course without financial penalty.
  • Find out how fees debt prevents you from accessing university services, and other consequences if you don’t pay your fees by the due date.
  • If your sponsor is paying all or some of your fees, UNSW will invoice your sponsor for fees for sponsored or assisted students following the relevant census date. If the sponsor doesn’t pay your tuition fees, you are liable for the fees.
  • If your employer is paying all or some of your fees, you will need to give them your fee statement from myUNSW and the Australia Post payment slip. There are more details in the FAQs about fees.
  • In some circumstances, you may be able to get a refund or remission of fees you have paid.

Proof of payment and tax invoices

You will get a receipt at the time of payment. Depending on how you pay, this could be an online receipt, a receipt number or a printed receipt. UNSW cannot issue another receipt if you lose the original.

Your UNSW Fee Statement serves as a tax invoice for your employer or tax purposes. It has all the information the Australian Taxation Office requires from students and employers when submitting or claiming education expenses on tax returns.

  • You may also need to provide an enrolment statement so that you can be reimbursed for tuition fees or receive a benefit or allowance from an overseas government or employer.

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is compulsory. The SSAF contributes to the provision of amenities and non-academic services such as health services, financial advice, sporting and recreational activities, student advocacy and legal services. The amount you pay is based on your study load. 

  • Find out more about the SSAF.
  • SA-HELP is a Commonwealth loan scheme that can help you pay all or part of your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). 

Help with fee payments

Fee payment plans

If exceptional circumstances mean you’re having difficulty paying your tuition fees, you can apply for a payment plan. This means you pay your fees in instalments. Payment plans are usually for one term at a time. 

  • Learn about how payment plans and the instalment process works. You can also access the application form.